Wednesday, May 8, 2013

So Other than Teaching....

I am currently on a school vacation.  I haven't taught since the last week of March and will be getting back in the classroom in about two weeks.  I thought I was going to have some serious boring down time.  That was most definitely not the case.

Shortly after school let out we had our annual 'All Vol' conference.  All Ghana volunteers get together for a few days, learn about what other sectors are doing, get all kinds of administrative updates, and get pretty drunk together at things like "Prom" and "Date Auction".  Basically this happened:

Shortly thereafter, Peace Corps hosted a surf competition to raise awareness of malaria protection the weekend following World Malaria Day.  The surf competition was just a platform to get people there and have fun.  We had nurses come and talk to the kids, we made mosquito shaped pinatas which the kids LOVED cause they love beating things and they love candy even more than beating things, and they've never been able to combine those two loves before.  We had a quiz game and gave out bednets as prizes, and of course watched some surfing.  It was a blast and educational, and basically this happened:
 We gave out mustaches to all the kids.  They were a hit for kids and adults alike.  I am still not sure who provided the wig but I am glad they did.  It was also in heavy rotation.
The video is the chaos that ignited after the mosquito pinata was obliterated.  :-D



Shortly after that, all the volunteers gathered in Accra as the malaria event ended with the sad news of Danni's death.  We all helped organize the memorial and gave support to those closest to her.

I'm now back at site.  Relaxing isn't exactly an option. We are organizing a youth leadership camp to be held at the university in Kumasi on May 20th.  I have been running in and out of Kumasi getting the last few details in line.  Next week I will travel again for 'Training of Trainers' for about one week, followed then by the leadership camp, followed by getting back to teaching.  Whew!!  But I like being busy.  It keeps my mind off of being a little lonely and missing everyone back home.  Which I do!! I love you guys.  A lot.  Can't wait to see you.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment