Saturday, June 2, 2012

First Post!

     Well, here it is: my first Peace Corps blog post!  I've always wanted to start a blog but never had anything in particular or particularly interesting to blog about.  I also hope to use this as the main resource for my friends and family to keep you all in the loop during my time in Ghana.  I meant to start this  sooner; my flight for orientation leaves two days from now so my first entry is really a farewell! :)
     I can't exactly explain why I want to join the Peace Corps but I remember starting to seriously consider  it about five years ago.  A group of former volunteers spoke to a class I was in during my second year of college and shared stories of enriching life experiences, new life perspectives, and a lot of great benefits post-service.  I am definitely inflicted with the 'travel bug' and also value and respect people that are willing to give of themselves for the sake of others.  Peace Corps seemed like the perfect opportunity to combine my love of travel with the opportunity to participate in an act of service that will benefit the lives of others and open doors of opportunity for me in the future.
     About six months after graduating from college I began the application process.  I had heard horror stories about it and was determined to get to the end of it and receive an invitation to serve.  To put it bluntly, I admit that it was a total bitch of an application but doable and actually not as bad as I expected.  The hardest part is all the waiting and the length of time it takes to from start to finish.  Many people think that anyone can just get up and join because 'it's just volunteering' but it is quite the opposite.  I started the process in March of 2011 and didn't have a definite invitation to serve until March of 2012.
     So I am currently wrapping up a few final tasks this weekend, double checking my checklists and I'll be on the west coast of Africa before I know it!  This is a brief inaugural post, so I hope that my friends and family check into this blog from time to time as I will be posting stories, pictures, and many other rantings of my service in Ghana.  I will keep in the best touch as I can, and I love and miss you all! :)  Below is the address where letters and care packages can be sent during the first three months.


 



1 comment: